[xsl] Using an XSLT to merge two XMLs then apply itself (or another XSL) to the result

Subject: [xsl] Using an XSLT to merge two XMLs then apply itself (or another XSL) to the result
From: "Zortan D Dork" <zortan_the_dork@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 22:49:26 +0000
I have what I consider to be a major head-ache and I have searched (google) high-up and low-down. I now realise, I don't really understand XSL all that well.

The problem:

myprocess.transform ( xsl-a, xml-f );

I need to have an XSL (xsl-a) take the supplied xml file (xml-f) and stick it into a specific node that resides in an external XML document (xml-e), take the combined xml DOM (xml-c) and process it with a final xsl (xsl-b) to produce the required output.

How:

I am confused and dis-orientated.

While currently programmed in C# under .NET 2.0, this XSL and XML will need to be processed under Java using Xalan as well - so I need a plain-vanilla solution. I would prefer not to perform two seperate XSLTs in the code for this special case only.

xml-f:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<support>
	<first-name>Mickey</first-name>
	<last-name>Mouse</last-name>
	<user-name>mmouse</user-name>
	<password/>
	<email>mickey@xxxxxxxxxx</email>
	<network-status>ACTIVE</network-status>
</support>

xml-e
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<root-node>
	<random-nodes>
		<instance>
			<!-- Each of the child nodes of xml-f:<support> need to be inserted here
-->
		</instance>
	</random-nodes>
	<other-random-nodes>
	</other-random-nodes>
</root-node>

** Then I need to process this combined xml-c DOM using another XSL (xsl-b).
**

Thanks in advance for any help you may give.

MSN Toolbar now comes with Windows Desktop Search - FREE download! http://desktop.msn.ie/