[xsl] Version and output-version in XSLT 2.0

Subject: [xsl] Version and output-version in XSLT 2.0
From: "Jesper Tverskov" <jesper@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 13:43:06 +0100
Hi list

A couple of days ago I asked about the "version" and "output-version"
attributes in the XSLT 2.0 Candidate Spec, to get a few things clarified.

The more I think about it, I can not but conclude that there is something
rodden in XSLT 2.0.

It is OK to introduce a new attribute making "forward" and "backward"
compatibility possible, but to name it "version" is unacceptable making it
impossible to use in the "output" element already having such an attribute
with another meaning. "Forward" and "backward" compatibility, I guess, is
relevant for all elements, we can not just skip it for one element with the
argument: "Sorry it already has the same attribute with another meaning".

This is a completely unacceptable way to introduce a new attribute. What a
mess it could lead to, if that became the standard way to make a
Recommendation!

Having introduced this new "version" attribute even makes it necessary to
introduce a new attribute, "output-version" to the result-document element,
meaning exactly the same as "version" in the output-element and even
overridinging it!

Sorry but that is not how a new attribute should be introduced! We can not
have two attributes meaning exactly the same thing except that they can only
be used in two different elements. This is not a bad, not a "next best" way
to make recommendations. It is simply a _non_ way. Are we going out of our
minds or what?

Why not call this new "version" attribute for "xslt" or for "rec" (short for
Recommendation) solving all the problems?

Best regards,
Jesper Tverskov