[xsl] How to pass a node set or RTF to top-level param using Xalan-C++?

Subject: [xsl] How to pass a node set or RTF to top-level param using Xalan-C++?
From: "Quincy Lu \(u\)" <qlu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 13:08:41 -0800
I believe this is possible using Xalan-J, but the Xalan-C++ API only
allows string expressions for XalanTransformer::setStylesheetParam()
(http://xml.apache.org/xalan-c/apiDocs/classXalanTransformer.html#a22).
Is there a way to get an RTF or node set from an expression?  I want to
be able to pass something like:

<a>
  <b>foo</b>
  <c>bar</c>
</a>

to my stylesheet.  If this isn't possible, is there a way to convert a
string to a nodeset within xslt?  And if not, what's the recommended way
of passing complex objects to a stylesheet?

I'm using Xalan 1.8.0, though an upgrade can be done if needed.