RE: [xsl] Re: Does anyone know how to make IE less useless for XSLT developement?

Subject: RE: [xsl] Re: Does anyone know how to make IE less useless for XSLT developement?
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 10:56:03 -0000
> OK, for anyone interested, I eventually traced down the problem.
> Internet Explorer (MSXML) cannot handle the following template. And
> now I have another question.
>
> <xsl:template match="HtmlAttribute">
>     <xsl:attribute name="@name"><xsl:value-of
> select="text()"/></xsl:attribute>
> </xsl:template>
>
> So is this a bug in MSXML?

The above code is in error: the value of the name attribute must be a valid
name. If you want to compute the name, you should write name="{@name}".

XSLT 1.0 processors are given discretion as to how they handle such errors,
in many cases they can either report the error or ignore it (in this case,
by not writing the relevant attribute). So there is no bug here.

XSLT 2.0 requires this error (and many other similar errors) to be reported
rather than being silently ignored.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/