Re: [xsl] Re: Does anyone know how to make IE less useless for XSLT developement?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Re: Does anyone know how to make IE less useless for XSLT developement?
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 13:27:56 GMT
> I sort of remember some encoding issues; something about MSXML having
> insisting on using UTF-16 for output using certain API bindings.

It does have a preference for utf16 because one of its methods outputs
to some string type thats always utf16 string, but that isn't a
conformance issue: an xslt1 system is explictly allowed to ignore the
encoding hint on xsl:output. A common "problem" people have with msxml
is that they output the whole result as a msxml dom and that dom is then
later serialised by dom serialisation methods (eg .xml), in which case
all of the serialisation is outside xslt's control and xsl:output is
completely ignored. This again is conformant (if confusing) and also
happens with other systems that allow the in-memory result tree to be
passed down some pipeline.

David

http://www.star.net.uk