Re: [xsl] numbering output and other newbie issues

Subject: Re: [xsl] numbering output and other newbie issues
From: Terry Ofner <tofner@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 21:48:01 -0500
Thanks Wendell,

Your suggestion worked like a charm. I added some tabs and newline characters as needed for my purposes. There is one more aspect of this project that has me really puzzled. Suppose that some quiz items have more than one answer. I changed item 3 of the the XML file to represent this situation.

<Story>
<GrammarTopic>Finding Subjects</GrammarTopic>
<Directions>Underline the subject in each sentence. If the subject is an understood you, write you.?</Directions>
<GrammarQuiz>
<Item>1. Find your seats quickly.<Answer>you</Answer></Item>
<Item>2. During open auditions there are very few empty <Answer>seats</Answer> in the auditorium.</Item>
<Item>3. Have <Answer>you</Answer> and <Answer>Marsha</Answer> heard the director's name?</Item>
</GrammarQuiz>
</Story>

Here is my current stylesheet.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"; version="1.0">

<xsl:template match="/">
	<xsl:text>&#10;</xsl:text>
		<xsl:apply-templates select="Story/GrammarTopic" />
  		<xsl:apply-templates select="Story/GrammarQuiz/Item/Answer"/>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="Answer">
	<xsl:text>&#10;</xsl:text><xsl:text>&#9;</xsl:text>
  <xsl:number level="any" format="1.&#9;"/>
  <xsl:apply-templates/>
</xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

This works great except, of course, it numbers all the answers consecutively. The output looks like this:

Finding Subjects
	1.	you
	2.	seats
	3.	you
	4.	Marsha

What I want to do now is get both answers for item 3 ("you" and "Marsha") together on one line like this.

Finding Subjects
	1.	you
	2.	seats
	3.	you, Marsha

I have a feeling that this will involve some complicated routines. I have reviewed The XSLT Cookbook and several other resources, but I am not even sure where to start.

Again, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Terry