Re: [xsl] XSL-FO: Exclude page numbering on some pages

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSL-FO: Exclude page numbering on some pages
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 13:00:31 -0400
At 2006-05-04 12:40 -0400, Nadia.Swaby@xxxxxx wrote:
Thanks for the quick response. So basically I should:

1) Create a new simple page master for the revision pages
        <fo:simple-page-master
master-name="RevPage"></fo:simple-page-master>

2) Create a new page master sequence:
        <fo:page-sequence-master master-name="RevIndex">
                <fo:single-page-master-reference
master-reference="RevPage">
                </fo:single-page-master-reference>
        </for:page-master-sequence-master>
3) Create a new fo:page-sequence for the RevIndex

Let me know if I am on the right track or not.

Yes, you are on the right track Nadia, but there is a small problem with your proposed use of objects above.

If your index were more than one page, then your RevIndex above would run out of page geometries because you have only a single-page-master-reference. Use repeatable-page-master-reference to support more than one page.

And, more simply, one is not obliged to point page-sequence only to page-sequence-masters ... you can simplify the above by pointing directly to the desired page geometry that is being repeated by having:

<simple-page-master maser-name="RevPage">....

<page-sequence master-reference="RevPage">....

... there is no need to always create a page-sequence master. I tell my students to only use one when there is a need to describe subsequences of patterns of page geometries ... though there is nothing technically wrong with the extra layer of indirection to the same thing as you've suggested above.

I hope this helps.

--
Registration open for XSLT/XSL-FO training: Wash.,DC 2006-06-12/16
Also for XSLT/XSL-FO training:    Minneapolis, MN 2006-07-31/08-04