Re: [xsl] How to retrieve global parameters names and their default values using Saxon?

Subject: Re: [xsl] How to retrieve global parameters names and their default values using Saxon?
From: George Cristian Bina <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 17:02:05 +0300
Hi,

We ended up implementing this in oXygen by looking in the XSLT documents as XML documents and extracting the information directly from there. You just have to be careful that parameters in included files can be rewritten in the including files but otherwise there are no difficulties. And while you do that you can get also whatever comment or documentation element exists for that parameter, if you need that as well. oXygen extracts also that and presents the parameters and their documentation in the parameters dialog when configuring a transformation scenario.

Best Regards,
George
George Cristian Bina
http://www.oxygenxml.com

Abel Braaksma Online wrote:
A follow up after some testing and trial and error. The proposed solution works partially, thanks again for this pointer, but we get (indeed Michael, you were right) strange results for any <xsl:param> value that is not a quoted literal. So:

A. <xsl:param name="somenameA" select=" 'literal-string-A' " />
B. <xsl:param name="somenameB" >literal-string-B</xsl:param>

(A) correctly returns "literal-string-A" (incl. quotes)
(B) (in?) correctly returns "net.sf.saxon.instruct.DocumentInstr@d1a34a" (without quotes)

We have tried evaluateAsString (Expression and ComputedExpression classes) and some other things, basically all requiring an XPathContext, and setting context to null did not help, although the docs hint as if it should.

My guess is that the XSLT processor sees the content of (B) as a node set, containing one node, namely a text node. I wonder, is there a way of doing something like:

rootContext = compiledStylesheet.getRootContext();
if(ParamB.canEvaluateToString())
     return ParamB.evaluateToString(rootContext);
else
     return null;

So: I would like to know a way to get the normalized string representation, unless the xsl:param is a node set (other than a single text node) or an xpath instruction.

Any help on this follow up is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Abel

andrew welch wrote:

compiledStylesheet = stf.newTemplates(new StreamSource(stylesheetPath)); Executable exec = ((PreparedStylesheet)compiledStylesheet).getExecutable();
IntHashMap map = exec.getCompiledGlobalVariables();
Iterator iter = map.valueIterator();
while (iter.hasNext()) {
Object var = iter.next();
if (var instanceof GlobalParam) {
String name = ((GlobalParam)var).getVariableName();
String value = ((GlobalParam)var).getSelectExpression().toString();

cheers
andrew