[xsl] XSLT v2.0 CR status

Subject: [xsl] XSLT v2.0 CR status
From: "Haarman, Mike" <mike.haarman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 15:29:19 -0400
Hey all,

Is there a sense of the list as to the position of the current CR for
XSLT v2.0 on the path to PR and W3C REC status?  I found a thread from
late last year regarding the progress of implementations other than
Saxon which suggested work was under way in several places.

Reviewing historical precedents:

XSLT v1.0 (on a less well-defined process) moved from the July 1999
Working Draft to PR on 8 Oct 1999 and REC on 16 Nov 1999.

XSLFO v1.0 moved from CR on 21 Nov 2000 to REC on 15 Oct 2001.

***

Past performance is no guarantee of future results.  Indeed, some W3C
initiatives seem to have simply stalled at CR (XML Fragments).  The
level of inter-reliance between the next generation of XSL and
Xpath/Xquery WG, et. al. complicates the verification of
interoperability and completeness.  The November 2005 thread referred to
development of the XSLT v2.0 test suite as lagging that of the
comparable XPath/Xquery work.  What is the current status of the XSLT
v2.0 test suite?

I am impressed with the performance and completeness of Saxon's
implementation; I am ready to begin development on a project with a
12-month horizon; I have confidence in our ability to manage the
adjustments we might expect from the CR/PR phase.  I find myself in a
risk-averse industry.  Can anyone offer a gut response as to my chance
of returning to the executive group in June of 2007 with the cover of a
formal W3C Recommendation for XSLT v2.0?

Thanks,

Mike Haarman,
Content Architect,
Wolters Kluwer Financial Services