Re: [xsl] ATTRIBUTE ORDER

Subject: Re: [xsl] ATTRIBUTE ORDER
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 19:03:43 -0400
Rick,

At 06:52 PM 5/26/2006, you wrote:
XSLT 2.0 with Saxon 8

When I am parsing a node with attributes, can I count on the attribute order
staying the same as in the source document?

Nope. Attribute order is undefined in XML, so parsers are not obliged to maintain it, and consequently nothing else is either.

You can, however, always sort your attributes: if they're always in alphabetical order they'll always be in the same order.

<xsl:for-each select="@*">
  <xsl:sort select="name()"/>
</xsl:for-each>

Cheers,