Re: [xsl] Office 2007, XSL-FO, and the Adobe "Save as PDF" (non)native-support...

Subject: Re: [xsl] Office 2007, XSL-FO, and the Adobe "Save as PDF" (non)native-support...
From: "M. David Peterson" <xmlhacker@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2006 19:06:39 -0600
Hi Rick,

On 6/3/06, Rick Quatro <frameexpert@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
PDF is not going to live or die based on Adobe's disagreement with
Microsoft.

Agreed.

PDF is here to stay because of it works well as an "output"
format.

Agreed.
It is pretty well entrenched in the computer universe.

(see above :)

The real
question is, are there good, reliable tools for XSL-FO output to PDF?

I assume yes... But I'm not qualified to answer this. The connection that I originally made that caused the desire to ping this list was based on the simple notion that I do know that XSL-FO is used to create PDF documents. Unfortunately my experience with the FO side of XSL is limited... REALLY limited.

My thought was "If there is information that is valuable to a
publisher (e.g. meta-data such as that associated with citations) and
this information can be embedded into a PDF document using standard
citation style footnotes and such, then does the fact that the new XML
format allows for ease of extension (and as such, allows the ability
to easily embed meta-data during a copy/paste operation) + the ability
to "Save as PDF..." + the connection that FO has to PDF = Opportunity
for the XSL-FO community?

However, your point now has me wondering... is XSL-FO as embedded into
the printing industry as I (incorrectly?) assumed it was?

Again, this is all fairly new territory to me...  Initially this
seemed like a question best answered by a G. Ken Holman or a Norm
Walsh-type expert, but it seems you also have quite a bit of
experience in this area as well...

Have I connected the wrong technology dots?

Rick Quatro Carmen Publishing 585-659-8267 www.frameexpert.com

--
<M:D/>

M. David Peterson