RE: [xsl] Re: Theory question: Node trees and SQL.

Subject: RE: [xsl] Re: Theory question: Node trees and SQL.
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 09:11:14 +0100
> Doesn't really help me much though. I'm looking to find the
> preferred/simplest way of storing node-/b-trees in SQL to be
> used with XSL. I need to be able to move, create, and delete
> nodes very simply (preferably without transactions).
>
> Any suggestions on what method I should use?

There is no simple way of storing trees in a pure relational database. Trees
need recursive queries, and recursive queries can't be done in first-order
predicate logic. You either have to do it a complicated way in a relational
database, or a simple way in a non-relational database.

(Of course, none of the major products like Oracle are purely relational any
more.)

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/