Re: [xsl] Re: Keeping a running total?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Re: Keeping a running total?
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 14:56:03 -0400
At 02:00 PM 7/12/2006, Colin wrote:
Downsides:

1) Performance - functional languages are stil slower than imperative languages, although the gap is closing.

And this is an issue for only some XSLT applications (perhaps a fairly small minority).

2) Large scale program structure - OO programming seems to have the advantage here.

Yet without being an OO engineer, I'd guess also that sound OO design enforces the same kinds of discipline through encapsulation and other techniques. While XSLT doesn't offer this, exactly, certainly one could modularize a solution (which is effectively what Dimitre has done).

(As I noted in an earlier message, it would be interesting to see what solutions to the latest running total problem could be achieved without FXSL but using "plain" XSLT 2.0. In contrast, FXSL recommends itself both by being demonstrably capable, and by being already there for the using.)

Cheers,
Wendell