Re: [xsl] XSLT compiler

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT compiler
From: "andrew welch" <andrew.j.welch@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 12:40:51 +0100
On 7/17/06, Mohsen Saboorian <mohsens@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I can use Xason as well as Xalan XSLTC for making templates? The Saxon
is also an XSLT compiler?

Yes, you can create a Templates object using Saxon, although this is not the same as Xalan's XSLTC.

A Templates object is a Java object containing the result of parsing
the stylesheet, and is defined in JAXP and therefore should be a
portable solution (when other Java based 2.0 xslt processors appear).
As it's just the parsed stylesheet, you are only saving the parse time
when you reuse a Templates object (afaik, hopefully someone will pick
me up on anything wrong here)

XSLTC compiles to C++, which means its very fast but you are tied to
XSLT 1.0.  I've never used XSLTC so I don't know whether its fully 1.0
compliant, or how successful its been.