RE: [xsl] Use document() function to get a reference to the input doc

Subject: RE: [xsl] Use document() function to get a reference to the input doc
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 06:18:18 +0100
> I wish to use the document() function to create a variable
> holding the input document. My stylesheet contains this element:
>
> <xsl:variable name="main-doc" select="document('/')" />
>
> When I run the transform, Saxon complains that I may not have
> any content in the prologue.

The message comes from the XML parser, not from Saxon - Saxon is only the
messenger, and tries hard to make this clear, but people still think it's
Saxon complaining.

I *think* that this message from Xerces usually means that a file has been
successfully read, but it's not XML, or anything remotely resembling XML. In
this case I suspect that the resource with URI "/" is a directory listing,
and Xerces of course can't parse a directory listing as XML.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/