[xsl] Highlighting words/phrases

Subject: [xsl] Highlighting words/phrases
From: yguaba@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 18:27:13 -0300
Dear all,

I am using XSLT to output search results. The source XML files can be
very roughly exemplified thus:

<root>
	<keywords>
		<keyword>term</keyword>
		<keyword>another search term</keyword>
	</keywords>
	<document number="x">
		<contents>sample text</contents>
	</document>
	<document number="y">
		<contents>another sample</contents>
	</document>
</root>

Basically, I want to be able to "highlight" the key words and phrases
("keyword" elements) by enclosing each of them within, say, a "span"
tag with a certain "class" attribute (in order to style these bits
via CSS).

My first idea was to use some kind of a search/replace routine, like
so:

<xsl:template name="highlight">
	<xsl:param name="input"/>
	<xsl:param name="search-string"/>
	<!-- CSS class -->
	<xsl:param name="class-name"/>
	<xsl:choose>
		<xsl:when test="$search-string and contains($input, $search-
string)">
			<xsl:value-of select="substring-before($input, $search-string)"/>
					<xsl:value-of select="$search-string"/>
				<xsl:call-template name="search-and-replace">
					<xsl:with-param name="input" select="substring-after($input,
$search-string)"/>
					<xsl:with-param name="search-string" select="$search-string"/>
					<xsl:with-param name="class-name" select="$class-name"/>
				</xsl:call-template>
		</xsl:when>
		<xsl:otherwise>
			<xsl:value-of select="$input"/>
		</xsl:otherwise>
	</xsl:choose>
</xsl:template>

The problem is that this would only highlight the first key word or
phrase. But I would need to iterate through all the key words using
xsl:for-each and highlight them all, which would of course not work
with the above template.

Any suggestions or links to possible solutions would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Erik

http://br.mobile.yahoo.com/mailalertas/