Re: [xsl] Following XSL causing strange HTML errors

Subject: Re: [xsl] Following XSL causing strange HTML errors
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 15:14:19 -0400
At 2006-08-28 14:36 -0400, Steve wrote:
        <xsl:choose>
                <xsl:when test="1=1">
                </xsl:when>
        </xsl:choose>

Something about the above code is causing an elusive problem with the
HTML in my document. Removing the code removes the behavoir. The above
code, as far as I can tell, should have absolutely no output (although
it may have whitespace, someone else could tell me).

It creates an empty <div> and if you are using Internet Explorer (you don't say) any properties you have associated with that id that "bleed", as I've documented in:

http://www.biglist.com/lists/xsl-list/archives/200512/msg00301.html

In my case, the properties of the empty <div> are
applied to the remainder of the document.

if I place <xmp> inside the div, encapsulating the XSL, a quite
strange thing happens. The code for the close-div tag appears, as well
as the rest of the document after the div as though the XMP tag were
not closed.

But you don't say if there is a missing </xmp>.

What on earth is going on and is the culprit XSL?

If the problem you are experiencing is visual, the problem is probably with the user agent displaying the HTML ... if the problem you are experience is that unexpected markup is showing up in the result, the problem is probably with your stylesheet ... if the problem you are experiencing is not-well-formed markup is showing up in the result, the problem might be the processor. From what you say, I doubt the problem is the XSLT specification.

I hope this helps.

--
UBL/XML/XSLT/XSL-FO training: Verx, Denmark 2006-10-02/06,11-20/24
UBL International 2006  2006-11-13/17 http://www.ublconference.com