Re: [xsl] Retrieving top-level attribute value in XSLT 2.0

Subject: Re: [xsl] Retrieving top-level attribute value in XSLT 2.0
From: "Bob Portnell" <simply.bobp@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 14:24:30 -0700
Apologies to Joe for misreading/mistyping his eminently correct
advice. And thank-you to David for clarifying what had only been
glimmering at the periphery of my awareness.

Now all I have to do is parse that dateTime into the shape and pieces
I want for the presentation end. And I'm going to have to do it many
times, so I expect I'm headed toward writing my first function. Whee.

I'll probably be back...

Bob P
simply.bobp@xxxxxxxxx

On 8/31/06, David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Okay, I've now tried that. There is no change: the date is not sent > into my output document.

what exactly did you try? the advice was correct

/*/@from

or adding
xmlns:t='urn:TMSWebServices' to your xsl:stylesheet  and using
/t:xtvt/@from
should both work.

I suspect that you confused yourself by calling
(this is the root element of the file...):
             ^^^^^^^^
the top level elemnt the root element, although that terminoligy is
sometimes used, it's best not to use it in xslt/xpath as xpath (1) a
root node is always the _parent_ of the top level element, not the
element itself. So there is never a "root element".

David