Re: [xsl] Sorting in order to count unique Records.

Subject: Re: [xsl] Sorting in order to count unique Records.
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 21:39:04 +0100
> I'm setting up a recursive template in order to count the amount of
> unique records at the end for tabulation.

This is usually done using a grouping idiom (see jeni's pages for xslt1
or for-each-group in xslt2)

> I'm wondering if I can use xsl:sort to get the names in order, then
> have the template check to see if the following-sibling matches.

xsl:sort changes the order in which teh results of processing nodes are
added to the result tree, it doesn't change the input tree, so it does
not change the preceding-sibling axis of the nodes.

> Would xsl:sort only sort the first record (doing nothing)?
yes.

              <xsl:for-each select="Record[1]">
              <xsl:apply-templates select="." />
    </xsl:for-each>

That is equivalent to
<xsl:apply-templates select="Record[1]"/>

David