[xsl] xsl template priority / xsl template precedence

Subject: [xsl] xsl template priority / xsl template precedence
From: Ralph Rauscher <rra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 19:45:49 +0200
Hi,

seem to be stuck on this one. I'm using the following template:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"; version="1.0">
<xsl:template match="aggregate" priority="5">
matched aggregate
</xsl:template>
<xsl:template match="aggregate/responses/errorresponse" priority="1000">
matched error response
</xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

and the following input:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<aggregate>
      <errorresponse>
          some error
      </errorresponse>
</aggregate>

I'd assume that given the priority attributes on the templates, the match="aggregate/responses/errorresponse" would get chosen by the XSLT processor. However, the result is that - no matter what I try - the processor always uses the match="aggregate" template also that thing has lower priority and is also less specific than the other one.

Anyone any ideas why that happens? I tried different processors, all with the same result.

Ralph