Re: [xsl] Relationships in for-each statement

Subject: Re: [xsl] Relationships in for-each statement
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 14:36:42 -0400
At 01:00 PM 9/8/2006, you wrote:
Dire Confessions Dept.: I'm a technical writer.

Ah well, that's why you can put a sentence together.

I might say your enthusiasm for binding variables then indicates, at least, potential, except I've just agreed with someone off list that neither I nor David Carlisle are computer programmers, so who am I to know? (And I hope David doesn't mind my saying so: being a mathematician ought to be enough. :-)

This XSLT is going to replace a 500-line Perl program which a)
imported all the XTVD data into a Perl structure b) filtered that
based on my desired search items c) exported a new XML data structure
d) which was then operated on by an XSLT sheet for prettiness. This
new all-in-one XSLT sheet ... well, I'm pushing myself to get the line
count down further, but it looks like 225 will be the leanest my
feeble skills will get to right now.

Keep in mind that many of those lines are close tags, hence may not really count.

As for optimizing XSLT -- I'm not personally of the school that believes the best XSLT transformation takes the form of one of those single monster XPaths. (Though that might be true of XQuery. :-)

Cheers,
Wendell