[xsl] Differences in FO processors

Subject: [xsl] Differences in FO processors
From: Dan Vint <dvint@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2006 19:27:36 -0700
I've been testing my stylesheets with Apache, RenderX and Antenna House processors (latest version of all of these). Basically Antenna House and RenderX accept my stylesheet and documents and generally produce the same results. I have a problem with tables not centering when using RenderX, and empty table cells collapse in RenderX but not Antenna House, but otherwise they are consistent.

When I run the same files with FOP I get a couple of different things:

- Warning that empty-cells is not implemented yet
- For one document I get a Sum of fixed column widths 468000 greater than the maximum specified IPD - 612000 (any idea what units these numbers are in?)
- This same document with the oversize, instead of producing 17 pages, just seems to go forever very fast. I kill it within seconds and it says it produced 200+ pages by the time it stops.

With this over running document I have a combination of letter and legal size pages. I have different names for these pages and the regions on them. The front side of the legal page is to have information printed, and the back side is to remain blank. I gave the body region on the front side the default region name of xsl-region-body and on the blank back side blank-body-notext. FOP complains that xsl-region-body does not map to the region-body in this blank page - which is what I want. FOP throws an error and stops. If I set the blank page body region to the default name it will run and spits out these extra pages.

When I run this stylesheet now with AntennaHouse, I no longer have my blank back page.

I would like these stylesheets to run properly with all these tools.

So first, is it proper to try and print only one side of the page but force a blank page? If so what should the general setup look like?

Next, which of these tools is correct in the interpretation of my stylesheet?

Lastly, any idea how to track down the problem with this oversize error that is reported by FOP?

thanks for any help

..dan
Danny Vint

Specializing in Panoramic Images of California and the West
http://www.dvint.com

voice: 510-522-4703

When H.H. Bennett was asked why he preferred to be out
shooting landscapes rather than spending time in his portrait studio:

"It is easier to pose nature and less trouble to please."

http://www.portalwisconsin.org/bennett_feature.cfm