[xsl] Newbie ? - dynamic linking two xslt templates

Subject: [xsl] Newbie ? - dynamic linking two xslt templates
From: Jeremy Patterson <patterj@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 12:58:08 -0400
I'm creating a webpage for a high school that lists the student's homework assignments. I used xslt/xml solution because it had to be a somewhat dynamic solution, would not tax the server, and be easily managed. The department head wants the site to be more in depth, where a student would select the teacher's name on a webpage and the student would be taken to a teacher page listing the assignments for that particular teacher.

I believe xslt/xml solution is still the best way to do this. I have come up with two xslt templates, one listing all the teachers(teacher directory), and another that generates the teacher's webpage based on a variable that is passed into xslt template. The teacher directory webpage will trigger the teacher xslt and pass a teacher's name, thus creating the teacher webpage. They are both generated from the same xml document, that will be updated by a web form (it's not their yet).

The problem I have is generating the dynamic link that will trigger the teacher xslt template. I have very limited experience with xml/xslt, I have always embedded the xslt page in the xml document like this:
<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="xslTemplate.xsl"?>

I don't think this is going to work because I'm using two different xslt templates. I also have no idea on how I would write the link to the teacher template, I would imagine the link would be the same, but I would just be passing a different value to the parameter in the teacher xslt. I have always just linked to the xml page which would trigger the xslt, but I don't think I can do that because I have two xslt templates working off the xml document.

This has to be a simple solution. I'm using Jenni Tennison's "Beginning XSLT 2.0" for reference. It has helped immensely in suggesting I compile through saxon, so I can view output. I'm hung up on creating the dynamic links that will link the two xslt templates together.

Jeremy