Re: [xsl] status of FOP, Oct 2006

Subject: Re: [xsl] status of FOP, Oct 2006
From: Florent Georges <darkman_spam@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 12:56:04 +0200 (CEST)
Wendell Piez wrote:

  Hi

> Among such packages we have in the past included Apache FOP, since it
> falls into the free/open-source category and since it runs in Windows
> without much complicated setup (a plus for our students). This has
> been the "latest stable release", which is now at version 0.20.5.

> But the version 0.92 beta release has been out for some time now, and
> is said by many to be simply better, not least by virtue of having
> more coverage of the FO specification.

  Here is the response of Simon Pepping, a FOP developer (he didn't
succeed to post directly to XSL List):

    The FOP development team encourages all users of FOP to upgrade
    to version 0.92. Soon we hope to follow up with version 0.93,
    which we believe to be of production quality. You can check the
    coverage of the XSL-FO spec on FOP's compliance page
    http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/compliance.html. Besides a
    greater coverage of the XSL-FO spec, FOP 0.9x has a better
    layout engine. It uses the famous Knuth algorithm both for line
    breaking and page breaking. For other features see the overview
    at http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/latest/index.html, menu
    item 'features'.

    Because this version is in active development, contrary to the
    "latest stable release" 0.20.5, reported bugs are fixed, and
    new features are being implemented continually. Better font
    support is on the short term todo list.

  Regards,

--drkm

Yahoo! Mail riinvente le mail ! Dicouvrez le nouveau Yahoo! Mail et son interface rivolutionnaire.
http://fr.mail.yahoo.com