[xsl] ∈ is not ∈...?

Subject: [xsl] ∈ is not ∈...?
From: Frank Marent <frank.marent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 17:44:05 +0200
hi all
(hi david!)

we encounter a strange behaviour with the &isin; entity reference. we can not match this entity. let's say you have an xml file

<Body>&isin;</Body>

and you're searching by xpath with

//text()[string-to-codepoints(.)[1]=8712]

explanation: we're searching 8712 because &isin; is &#x02208 (http:// www.w3.org/TR/MathML2/bycodes.html) and 2208 is decimal 8712.

but there is no match with that expression. we tried by xslt with saxon 8.7.3J on windows xp and by oxygen 7.2 on windows xp with direct xpath match - &isin; is not catched. when changing &isin; to

<Body>&Element;</Body>

(which should be the same character reference) then the xpath matches. we have strange results working with &isin; and no idea what the problem may be.

frank