Re: [xsl] problem with parsing JS inside a XSL file

Subject: Re: [xsl] problem with parsing JS inside a XSL file
From: Abel Braaksma <abel.online@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 09:07:03 +0100
itay Malin wrote:
<xsl:template match="/">
<script type="text/javascript">
alert('<xsl:value-of select="list/id"/>');
</script>
</xsl:template>
[...]
But, when I try to tie both files dynamicaly with the IE js ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLDOM");
it isn't working!

ANy idea what should I do?

For IE you need the FreethreadedDOM object if you want to transform it client side with XSLT. I recommend trying prototype.js and/or Sarissa, which takes away quite a lot of the burden of client side XSLT/XML processing.

I'd recommend against using literal scripts from XSLT, but if you must use them, the only trick that always works is: get all the SCRIPT tags from the resulting XML, and parse them using js's eval() function. There are some gotcha's, these have been resolved largely by Prototype.js (there are other libraries, too, that do that, both commercial and non-commercial).

Cheers,
-- Abel Braaksma
  http://www.nuntia.com