Re: SV: [xsl] [Announcement] Altova Customers: Upgrade to Stylus Studio 2007 for a Reduced Price

Subject: Re: SV: [xsl] [Announcement] Altova Customers: Upgrade to Stylus Studio 2007 for a Reduced Price
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 20:16:21 -0500
At 11:44 AM +0100 11/1/06, Per Osnes wrote:
I just wonder: Is this list a market place?

Yes, in many ways it is. And as long as commercial announcements are:
- clearly identified as such, and
- relatively short
they are welcome. After all, few if any of us actually work with XSL in the total absence of commercial software. (I wonder if anyone can get real useful XML-related work of any kind done in 2006 in the total absence of commercial software).

Even if the posting guidelines says
"There is no restriction on what may be posted to the XSL-List provided it
is related to XSL",
such commercial announcements from a specific vendor are - in my opinion -
misplaced! Especially when the target group is the customers of their
competitor.

I disagree. Announcements of new products, books, XSLT-related events, even lists and other information sources (e.g., WIKIs and Blogs) that intend to compete with XSL-List are appropriate here.

How well received they will be depends in large part on how well they manage the balance between information and hype. In my opinion short information-rich low-hype announcements are the most effective way to get the attention of the participants in XSL-List.

-- Tommie Usdin
   Owner, XSL-List

B. Tommie Usdin                        mailto:btusdin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Mulberry Technologies: A Consultancy Specializing in XML and SGML