Re: [xsl] Is it possible to create xsl:sort from input parameters using XSLT 2.0 (Saxon)?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Is it possible to create xsl:sort from input parameters using XSLT 2.0 (Saxon)?
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 12:30:22 GMT
> The problem is that it doesn't work. There are no errors but the sorting
> does not occur. Doing a <xsl:value-of
> select="$sortField/SortFields/SortField[1]/Sort"/> brings through the string
> "lendername" I just can't see why the sorting is not working. Hard coding
> the value "lendername" sorts the output perfectly

That's the differenc (it's also a FFFAQ)

in select

select="lendername"

the attribute is a XPath expression that selects an element, and the
string value of that element is used as the sort key.

select="'lendername'"

the attribute is a XPath expression that selects a string, and the
value of that that is used as the sort key. So all items get teh same
sort key and no sorting happens.

the second example used a string literal but any expression evaluating
to that string (you had) will have the same result.

select="*[name()='lendername']"

would again sort as you want, and replacing the string literal by the
expression based on your input parameter will also work.

David