RE: [xsl] Quotes in expression

Subject: RE: [xsl] Quotes in expression
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 15:35:10 -0000
> I'm having issues with a the ' character.
>
> What I'm looking to do is create a line that says:
> $content-file/Doc/Field['myField']/table/row
>
> I have used the following expression:
> concat('$content-file/Doc/Field[@FieldName=&#x0027;',{$data},'
> &#x0027;]/
> table/row')

Is this within an XSLT stylesheet? 1.0 or 2.0?

When in XSLT, an XML character reference like &#x27; is expanded before
XPath gets to see it. So the expression XPath sees is

concat('$content-file/Doc/Field[@FieldName='',{$data},'']/table/row')

In 2.0 (like in SQL), a double apos within an apos-delimited string
represents a single apos, which would account for the output you are seeing.

In 2.0 you can therefore do

concat('$content-file/Doc/Field[@FieldName=''',$data,''']/table/row')

In 1.0 it's simplest to declare a variable:

<xsl:variable name="apos">'</xsl:variable>

then

concat('$content-file/Doc/Field[@FieldName=',$apos, $data, $apos,
']/table/row')

Either way, your curly braces are very wrong. Curlies never appear inside an
XPath expression, they are only used to delimit an XPath expression embedded
in enclosing literal text.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/