Re: [xsl] Safe-guarding codepoints-to-string() from wrong input

Subject: Re: [xsl] Safe-guarding codepoints-to-string() from wrong input
From: Abel Braaksma <abel.online@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 09:21:51 +0100
Florent Georges wrote:
  The intent of XSLT transformations is not to work with
characters, but with the data model defined in [XDM].  Of
course, there are a lot of functions to operate on strings,
but dealing with the codepoints directly in the stylesheet
is not a frequent thing IMHO.

The data model and its lexical representation are two
different beasts.

I understand that. But with the advent of unparsed-text() and related functions, plus removing the necessity of having an input document, XSLT opened up a whole new world of applications of data transformations. As a matter of fact, I find myself working daily doing transformations of legacy text-based data formats.

But I'm aware of the discussions that have been in the past about XML compliant data and if XSLT should be able to treat non-XML characters (through unparsed-text() or otherwise). For this version, partly for security reasons (buffer overflow etc), it was decided against facilities for non-XML compliant data. Unfortunately. Perhaps in a next version (in another decade?).

Cheers,
-- Abel