Re: [xsl] mod position() tests positive all of the time

Subject: Re: [xsl] mod position() tests positive all of the time
From: Tony Graham <Tony.Graham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 13:44:10 +0000
On Sat, Dec 30 2006 12:06:32 +0000, Allen Jones wrote:
> I am new to the list, but I have checked the archive for this particular
> problem and I haven't been able to find a solution to this.
>
> I am using the following stylesheet and everytime it tests for position,
> the results always print the <tr> (rather than printing every 5th
> element). Since I am new to XSLT, I know it is probably in the code.
> Any help would be a lesson.

position() returns the context position within the current node list.

You don't show how many <thumbnail> are within each <object>, but the
context changes with each <object>, so the first <thumbnail> in each
<object> matches your predicate.

If you want to group <thumbnail> across multiple <object>, the simple,
brute-force, and slow way to group them is to change your xsl:for-each
and xsl:apply-templates to:

<xsl:for-each
  select="(insightResponse/searchResponse/collectionResultSet/object/thumbnail)[position()
  mod 5 = 1]">
    <xsl:apply-templates
      select=". | following::thumbnail[position() &lt; 5]" />
</xsl:for-each>

or:

<xsl:for-each
  select="insightResponse/searchResponse/collectionResultSet/object/thumbnail[count(preceding::thumbnail) mod 5 = 0]">

but if your data is large, you are probably better off to use keys.

Regards,

Tony Graham.
Tony Graham                  mailto:Tony.Graham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Menteith Consulting Ltd              http://www.menteithconsulting.com