[xsl] Grouping Word 2007 content by customXml nodes

Subject: [xsl] Grouping Word 2007 content by customXml nodes
From: Frank Hopper <frank.hopper@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 12:04:43 +0100
I am new to XSLT and working with ASP.NET 2.0 trying to bulk upload content from Word 2007 docx files to a SQL Server 2005 Express Edition database in order to publish the content through my content management system. So far I think I will need to use xml version 2.0 and Saxon 8.7 processor for .NET (since the .NET XslCompiledTransform processor only supports xml version 1.0).

I would like to split the Word 2007 documents into several parts via XSLT so I can publish a long Word 2007 document as several web pages to the internet. I added my own customXML to the Word 2007 document to insert information like page title, url, meta description and meta keywords and so on (the WORD2007SAMPLE_DOCUMENT.XML file below only shows the page title customXML to keep the sample short). Every <w:customXml w:element="pageTitle"> indicates the start of a new web page. The content in between will be converted to HTML.

The DESIRED_OUTPUT.XML shows the xml file I would like to get as a result. This file will be loaded into the corresponding tables and columns of my SQL Server 2005 Express Edition database.

The RECEIVED_OUTPUT.XML shows the output I get so far. It shows that the content is not grouped correctly into separate web pages.

The MY_NOT_WORKING_TRANSFORM.XSL shows how I tried to transform the WORD2007SAMPLE_DOCUMENT.XML into DESIRED_OUTPUT.XML without success. The conversion of the content to HTML is not included to keep the sample short.

MY PROBLEM:
When I group by <w:customXml w:element="pageTitle"> using for-each-group I cant get to the value of <w:t>Content ?</w:t> nodes without destroying my grouping effort. I suppose this is because the content is not in the same or a lower level than my <w:customXml w:element="pageTitle">.

Thanks for your help.

----------------------------
WORD2007SAMPLE_DOCUMENT.XML
----------------------------
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<w:document xmlns:w="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/wordprocessingml/2006/main";>
<w:body>
<w:p>
<w:customXml w:element="pageTitle">
<w:r>
<w:t>1. Web Page Title</w:t>
</w:r>
</w:customXml>
</w:p>
<w:p>
<w:r>
<w:t>Content A</w:t>
</w:r>
</w:p>
<w:p>
<w:r>
<w:t>Content B</w:t>
</w:r>
</w:p>
<w:p>
<w:customXml w:element="pageTitle">
<w:r>
<w:t>2. Web Page Title</w:t>
</w:r>
</w:customXml>
</w:p>
<w:p>
<w:r>
<w:t>Content C</w:t>
</w:r>
</w:p>
<w:p>
<w:r>
<w:t>Content D</w:t>
</w:r>
</w:p>
</w:body>
</w:document>

----------------------------
DESIRED_OUTPUT.XML
----------------------------
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<root xmlns:w="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/wordprocessingml/2006/main";>
<pageData>
<pageTitle>1. Web Page Title</pageTitle>
<pageContent>
Content A and Content B
</pageContent>
</pageData>
<pageData>
<pageTitle>2. Web Page Title</pageTitle>
<pageContent>
Content C and Content D
</pageContent>
</pageData>
</root>

----------------------------
RECEIVED_OUTPUT.XML
----------------------------
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<root xmlns:w="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/wordprocessingml/2006/main";>
<pageData>
<pageTitle>1. Web Page Title</pageTitle>
<pageContent>
Content A and Content B Content C and Content D
</pageContent>
</pageData>
<pageData>
<pageTitle>2. Web Page Title</pageTitle>
<pageContent>
Content A and Content B Content C and Content D
</pageContent>
</pageData>
</root>

----------------------------
MY_NOT_WORKING_TRANSFORM.XSL
----------------------------
<xsl:stylesheet version="2.0"
  xmlns:xsl=http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform
 xmlns:w="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/wordprocessingml/2006/main";>

  <xsl:output method="xml" indent="yes" encoding="utf-8" />
  <xsl:strip-space elements="*"/>

  <xsl:template match="/">
    <xsl:apply-templates select="//w:body"/>
  </xsl:template>

  <xsl:template match="w:body">
    <root>
      <xsl:for-each-group select="*"