Re: [xsl] XSLT 2.0 has arrived

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT 2.0 has arrived
From: "Andrew Welch" <andrew.j.welch@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 16:59:10 +0000
On 1/23/07, Abel Braaksma <abel.online@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Andrew Welch wrote:
> There are some "killer app" features of 2.0 that I use daily - the
> collection() function, xsl:result-document, xsl:for-each-group, the
> "xhtml" output method, temporary trees, strong typing, regular
> expressions....

Andrew, just out of curiosity, in what way do you use the collection()
function? I find myself using the document() function instead for
opening multiple documents (a change from 1.0 to 2.0) at once and
haven't found a reason for going for the collection() function.

I use the collection() function for generating reports or creating indexes - generally a many-to-one transform.

For example - say you have 1000's of XML files in a directory and you
want to generate a report detailing the links in the dataset, you
would use the collection() function to access all the files, and
xsl:for-each-group to group and sort them.  You really also need
saxon:discard-document() if the total dataset size would blow your
available memory.

I briefly wrote about it here:

http://ajwelch.blogspot.com/2006/11/using-collection-and-saxondiscard.html

cheers