Re: [xsl] Output multiple files with different DTD or avoid the problem altogether?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Output multiple files with different DTD or avoid the problem altogether?
From: Deborah Pickett <debbiep-list-xsl@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 21:02:28 +1100
Trevor Nicholls wrote:
For reasons that are probably obvious to anyone familiar with a popular
document editing application, I have to use Xalan as my XSL processor, and I
am making use of the <xalan:write> extension to output the subdocuments.
[...]
Now when I save the super-document everything is created as required, EXCEPT
that the lookup XML file contains a reference to the same DTD as the
individual document files, i.e. it includes the line:
  <!DOCTYPE doctree SYSTEM "path_to_dtd">

I remember looking for the answer to the same question when exporting a FrameMaker document into individual XML topic files along with an XML map hierarchy of said topics. And I came up with the same answer: xalan:write doesn't appear to let you specify the doctype.

Needless to say, there are plenty of solutions in the XSLT 2.0 world, but that's going to require an extra, manual, step after saving the document as a single XML |ber-document. My experience with FrameMaker is that unless you use some paid-for plugin or the FDK you are stuck with it.