RE: [xsl] value-of w/separator and nodes

Subject: RE: [xsl] value-of w/separator and nodes
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 19:40:41 -0000
> Somehow, I found the following logic logical: take a list of
> items, each item has a type T. Concatenate all items by
> casting each type T to a string, append the separator and
> append to each other.

Yes, that would have been a much simpler rule. In fact, that's the way it
was for a while. But it caused problems, both in terms of backwards
compatibility and in terms of what users found natural, so we changed it.
The difficulties related to the strong expectation that strings produced by
adjacent xsl:text/xsl:value-of instructions would be concatenated directly.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/