[xsl] XSLT-related Links/News of Interest

Subject: [xsl] XSLT-related Links/News of Interest
From: "M. David Peterson" <m.david@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 15:06:27 -0700
Couple snippets of info that seem worth pointing out,

via Oleg Tkachenko @ http://www.tkachenko.com/blog/archives/000662.html

But the whole new era of XSLT embedding is going to start when XSLT finally becomes widely compilable into executable code. Next Visual Studio (codename Orcas, expected later this year) will include XSLTC.EXE - XSLT to MSIL compiler[1]. That would add another benefit - save on XSLT compilation, which is time and resource hog.

via http://xqilla.sourceforge.net/HomePage

XQilla is an XQueryb and XPath 2b library and command line utility written in C++, implemented on top of the Xerces-Cb library. It is made available under the terms of the Sleepycat licence and a BSD style licence.

XQilla is originally based on an open source project called Pathanb, that was hosted by Decisionsoftb and implemented XPath 2. However, XQilla has been developed and improved considerably from the Pathan code base. A list of people involved in the development of XQilla can be found here.

via Kurt Cagle @ http://www.oreillynet.com/xml/blog/2007/02/the_horserace_gets_exciting_xs.html

Ibm sure this is going to get blogged almost immediately, but Ibll just add my two cents here - Microsoft has formally announced that with the publication of the XSLT 2.0 Recommendation the XML Team has commenced working on a new XSLT 2.0 implementation that will be available as part of the .NET platform, with the very real possibility that it will also be folded into the Internet Explorer browser.

So that last part threw me, as this was the first time I had heard mention of XSLT 2.0 and IE. But in researching this a bit further,

via http://blogs.msdn.com/xmlteam/archive/2007/01/29/xslt-2-0.aspx#1584808

We are discussing whether to implement XSLT2 in the native stack (MSXML3 and MSXML6). The needs of IE are the biggest consideration (it uses the native libraries), and we will definitely coordinate with the IE team.

With the recent news posted to this list and elsewhere regarding the recent infusion of extended support for EXSLT inside of Mozilla/Fx, I'm suddenly beginning to gain a sense that a brand new feature war is in the early stages of development amongst the browser vendors. With Mozilla/Firefox making the browser matter again, resulting in a new onslaught of cross-browser/cross-platform functionality from MSFT in the form of WPF/e [XAML+CLR Lite][2] to take on XUL/Flex[aka Flash] head-to-head, it makes a lot more sense to consider the extended capabilities that EXSLT and XSLT 2.0 bring to the table for developers who want to build fat-client solutions made accessible via the browser.

And when you consider that a fairly substantial amount of the information we consume these days comes in the form of RSS/Atom (and this is increasing fairly dramatically), it certainly makes a whole lot of sense to provide extended capabilities in regards to the transformation of this data using the technologies best suited for transforming XML from one format into another.

Seems times are really beginning to get exciting these days in the land of XSLT* :)

--
[1] http://blogs.msdn.com/xmlteam/archive/2007/02/02/xml-features-in-the-february-ctp-of-visual-studio-orcas.aspx
[2] http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/asp.net/bb187358.aspx

-- /M:D