Re: [xsl] Functional Programming, "no side effects" and so on...

Subject: Re: [xsl] Functional Programming, "no side effects" and so on...
From: "M. David Peterson" <m.david@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 13:50:04 -0700
On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 13:08:36 -0700, Dimitre Novatchev
<dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

XSLT is a functional language and this is a big topic. This is how I
explain the lack of responses to the OP -- a good reply could be to
write a book on this topic.

That would make for a *GREAT* book! Of course, as luck would have it, I just so happen to know a few folks who could help make that happen. Feel free to let me know when you want me to do just that ;) :D

The best explanation of FXSL is in the two papers presented at the
Extreme Markup Languages Conference (2003, 2006) -- especially the
latter, which covers FXSL 2 (for XSLT 2.0):

http://www.idealliance.org/papers/extreme/proceedings/xslfo-pdf/2006/Novatche
v01/EML2006Novatchev01.pdf

Agreed. The above paper *ROCKS*! :D

  It's a pity that most traditional programming is based on imperative
languages, which severely undermines the ability of the regular
programmer to broadly understand a problem, to analyze it
independently from any implementation choices and in particular to
think outside of the limited imperative paradigm.

Most definitely agree. It's a pity for sure. I'm sure you've already seen this, Dimitre, but for anyone who has not: An interesting video from four of the primary language architects at MSFT (Herb Sutter, Erik Meijer, Brian Beckman, and Anders Hejlsberg) was recently posted to Channel9@MSDN
http://channel9.msdn.com/Showpost.aspx?postid=273697

This very same topic is covered in great extent, showcasing the obvious fact that there is definitely quite a bit of momentum (for those familar with LINQ and its predecessors X# and COmega, it's obvious this is exactly where things are headed), as well as "one-step-at-a-time" preparations taking place to continue moving towards a foundation in which functional programming on the .NET platform reigns supreme.

Dependent upon your platform of choice, F# is something I would spend some
time getting to know as well >
http://research.microsoft.com/fsharp/fsharp.aspx < A good portion of the
Functional-like features of the C# 3.0 compiler  (and if not mistaken,
some of the features of C# 2.0 compiler as well) come directly from this
project.  To put it gently, Don Syme's (the creator of F# -- based out of
MSFT's UK research facility) is *THE MAN*! > http://blogs.msdn.com/dsyme/
< is where you can find his blog.

--
/M:D