Re: [xsl] Books on XSLT/XPATH

Subject: Re: [xsl] Books on XSLT/XPATH
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 09:45:21 -0800 (PST)
I have XSLT 2.0 and XPath 2.0 by Michael Kay and also

Beginning XSLT 2.0
from Novice to Professional by Jenni Tennison.

Since I was a newbie to XSLT I
started with the Beginning XSLT 2.0 book,
I have come to understand many new
features of XSLT 2.0 with this book I've read up until Paths and Sequences
but haven't tried the exercises in the book yet.

I feel that when learning
any programming language there are multiple stages of learning

1) Learn all
the concepts first and get a high level understand of the overall language.
Especially if one is comeing from a procedural language or OO background
it helps to look at things from a new perspective or at least anticipate that
there's a new perspective to any language.
2) Re-read and practice the
exercises - the second pass gets the foundation strong.
3) Then look at design
patterns that provide common solutions to known/ frequent problems.

After
gaining some basic understanding of XSLT I looked through the XSLT 2.0 and
XPath 2.0 books by Michael Kay, and I feel that the two books are written very
well and cover
each topic comprehensively with tabular references, graphs,
code snippets. I plan to read them soon once I finish the Beginning XSLT book,
or I may refer them on an as needed basis to look-up detailed information
regarding a topic.

The index of the book shows the page numbers for each
topic clearly and I find that it is easy to navigate the book, upon
understanding the basic concepts of XSLT and XPath.

-Regards
Rashmi

-----