Re: [xsl] Using xsl:output in browsers, was: Re [xsl] XHTML html validation

Subject: Re: [xsl] Using xsl:output in browsers, was: Re [xsl] XHTML html validation
From: "Andrew Welch" <andrew.j.welch@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 14:00:08 +0000
On 2/20/07, Robert Koberg <rob@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 08:25:15 -0500, Abel Braaksma <abel.online@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Perhaps it is worthwhile to create a little list with pros and cons for
> people that are new to the subject so that anyone can decide for his/her
> own situation. I understand that you know pretty much of this type of
> transformation invocation, maybe you can help improving a Wiki article
> on this subject (not yet there).

Not complete, I'm sure, but...

Cons:

- no caching of the processor object
- when using XHR (XMLHttpRequest), the transform will not be invoked. You
will have to parse the DOM to find the PI and apply the transform from JS.

Pros:

- simple
- works in almost every browser (just not in XHR)

Pros:

- A simple learning aid for anyone writing their first transform, but...

Cons:

- A poor learning aid as it hides source/result tree process
- Tightly couples the XML with the XSLT
- Is too limited when you want anything other than the most basic transform

I'm still amazed that people put themselves through the pain of
clientside transforms... Life's much simpler when you serve HTML to
the browser and do everything else on the server that you have full
control of.