Re: [xsl] Lookup tables

Subject: Re: [xsl] Lookup tables
From: "Joe Fawcett" <joefawcett@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 01:46:25 -0000
   version="1.0">
   <xsl:key name="getKeyByName" match="Keys/Key" use="@name" />

   <xsl:template match="/">
     <example>
       <xsl:copy-of select="key('getKeyByName', A/B/C/Referrer/@ref)" />
     </example>
   </xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

Joe Fawcett
http://joe.fawcett.name

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kamal Bhatt" <kbhatt@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2007 1:40 AM

Joe Fawcett wrote:
Kamal Bhatt

I would have thought that you could use data embedded in the XML, but access via a key. This is declared using xsl:key in the XSLT and retrieved using the key function, see http://www.w3schools.com/xsl/func_key.asp.
I tried to use a key, but couldn't get it to "go backwards". Maybe I am using it incorrectly
Another possibility is to embed the data in the XSLT, via an include maybe, and access via document(''). The disadvantage of this is that document(''), which points to the stylesheet itself, does not always work "out of the box", for example if the XSLT has been fetched from a database table. In that case they are things you can do to make it work, a custom XmlResolver in .NET and the same, I think, in Java.
The lookup table is part of the XML, with the key embedded in a child eg:

<A>
 <Keys>
    <Key value="abc123" name="key1"/>
    <Key value="abc432" name="key2"/>
 </Keys>
 <B>
    <C>
     <Referrer ref="key1"/>
   </C>
  </B
</A>

If someone can give me an example where you match Referrer and get the value from Key (without using ancestor or '..' syntax), that would be great.

Joe Fawcett (MVP - XML) http://joe.fawcett.name

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kamal Bhatt" <kbhatt@xxxxxxxxx>