Re: [xsl] Friday challenge: XSLT thats creates XPaths for meaningfully equivalent comparisons of XML files

Subject: Re: [xsl] Friday challenge: XSLT thats creates XPaths for meaningfully equivalent comparisons of XML files
From: "James Fuller" <james.fuller.2007@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 14:40:19 +0200
some thoughts on 'meaningful equivelence'

*  you may have to resort to canonical xml
http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-c14n, though deep-equal() works for me

* also there can be 2 different XSLT documents that when processed
against xml input generate exactly the same results...and I am think
the same applies for 2 different sets of xpath....I would have thought
you would need uniqueness somewhere with this approach

* do u want a measure of equivelance, that is do u want just yes/no or
some degree/measure for representing how close one xml document is to
another? To invert are you looking for a similarity algorithm ? there
is some work on this, but not a lot for XML similarity algorithms

gl, Jim Fuller
*