Re: [xsl] XSLT Dead?

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT Dead?
From: Abel Braaksma <abel.online@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 11:24:32 +0200
Andrew Welch wrote:

In my experience they're usually proficient Java bods, and
so think XSLT is trivial.

That's, as a matter of fact, my only drawback with XSLT in general: it is still quite hard to find people with proficient XSLT (esp. 2.0) knowledge or with enough understanding of related languages to quickly gain that knowledge. Many programmers think they "understand" XSLT, but when I give them a *very* simple test case, they fail miserably with an awkward, verbose GOTO style of programming.

XSLT will not die because of AJAX, because its so much more than a UI level language, and only someone with a limited experience would suggest otherwise.

Die *because* of AJAX? I thought it got even more alive and kicking than it already was, *because* of AJAX. Some (many?) AJAX libraries employ XSLT and/or XPath in some way. My own AJAX library does it to a great extend (up to a command-parser and rights-system), both server-side and client-side and I consider myself lucky that there are so few browser peculiarities compared to plain old JavaScript + DHTML techniques to achieve the same.

No, if anything, AJAX makes XSLT thrive and XSLT makes the hard parts of AJAX a breeze ;)

Cheers,
-- Abel Braaksma