Re: [xsl] suggestions for per request xslt performance?

Subject: Re: [xsl] suggestions for per request xslt performance?
From: "Alexander Johannesen" <alexander.johannesen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 20:51:42 +1000
On 4/24/07, Michael Kay <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
PHP appears to be one of those languages that gives you great development
productivity until you want to do something a little bit more complicated,
and then it leaves you stranded.

No, I'd rather say it's one of those languages which a lot of people think can't do a lot of things it really can do. I guess it comes from it's simpler hacker-friendly background, and everyone loves to kick the underdog.

I use PHP 5.1 (or 5.2 for braver moments) professionally, and I have
yet to discover any problem I couldn't solve with it, enterprise or
otherwise. It's not about the language, but how you design software.

Just like with Java you can run PHP in a servlet-ish kinda way, at a
different port, which will cache and keep the XSLT stylesheets and all
in memory, and you ask it to transform your XML on demand. PHP can be
run from the command-line for this very purpose, and people have
written all sorts of things with it, including HTTPD, servlets and so
forth. However, this is not the modus operandi, so documentation is
scarce, but you certainly can do it. (And look to running PHP with
FastCGI for performance issues as well; you can keep a pool of
pre-loaded iterations)

I'm also a bit wary of your 170k+ stylesheet. Are you sure this
stylesheet needs to be that large? (I can't fanthom that much XSLT
code ... Is this DocBook or something even more complicated?)

Regards,

Alexander
Project Wrangler, SOA, Information Alchymist, UX, RESTafarian, Topic Maps