RE: [xsl] Transforming large XML docs in small amounts of memory

Subject: RE: [xsl] Transforming large XML docs in small amounts of memory
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 09:53:39 +0100
> >> I think that transforming 150Mb of data in 400Mb of RAM would be a
> >> sensible target (is this sensible?)
> >
> > That's ambitious. To achieve that, you're going to have to do
> > something that condenses the input document before transformation.
>
> What would you say was a reasonable target? I expect it will
> be dependent on many factors.

I reckon a factor of 5x is usually achievable - so 750Mb. But it does
depend. Biggest variable is the proportion of the 150Mb that's taken up with
long element names - sometimes e.g. in FpML this is a huge proportion of the
total, in which case you can do much better than 5x.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/