Re: [xsl] <quote>XSL is NOT easy</quote>

Subject: Re: [xsl] <quote>XSL is NOT easy</quote>
From: Roger <rxt360@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 00:08:29 +0200
Thanks for this insight Hugh! I was one of those for-each- programmers, never used apply-templates until recently. The way you put it here makes it a lot clearer. Of course I knew what the default template did, but missed the intention behind it. What I used to do was copy HTML into the XSLT, split it up using call-template, work my way down. What you're suggesting is in fact starting with a clean template, then adding modifications. That's quite interesting. It turns my XSLT-world upside down. And looking back it seems so strange that I didn't see this sooner (because it's so simple and basic).

Roger

They can't seem to get it that an XSLT processor executes and has default behavior - which can be modified by "templates" you supply for each node in the input tree of nodes.. and that they are called templates since you provide a template of what you want as output.... you don't write procedural code to generate it.