Re: [xsl] XML structure to HTML unordered list

Subject: Re: [xsl] XML structure to HTML unordered list
From: Abel Braaksma <abel.online@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2007 19:34:17 +0200
M. David Peterson wrote:
On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 11:07:54 -0600, Abel Braaksma <abel.online@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

(*if* that can be made working through such an interface)

http://www.mono-project.com/Embedding_Mono#Exposing_C_code_to_the_CIL_universe

no, no, I meant the other way around. Invoking C is clear, that's the easy bit. But suppose you want to enable the user to define xslt extension functions in there host language (i.e., PHP when you use a bridge from PHP to C/Gestalt). But I'll have to dive into the Gestalt docs (or ask Colin).

For instance, in SaxonJ it is easy to call a Java method almost directly from XSLT (of course one really needs this, but anyway), but if I call Java methods from PHP, I cannot all of a sudden create PHP methods and call them from XSLT, can I?

Surely, a PHP programmer would want to be able to write extension functions in PHP, not in Eiffel. Likely, it will only work through Eiffel currently. I.e., making an Eiffel stub that calls into PHP sounds doable, but very awkward (not yet talking about making it generic for multiple languages).