[xsl] variable outside a for-each loop

Subject: [xsl] variable outside a for-each loop
From: "Mathieu Malaterre" <mathieu.malaterre@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 14:52:27 +0200
Hello,

  this is clearly a question that has been asked many times on this
mailing list. But I simply cannot find anything smart to do for my
issue:

I have the following XML (docbook):

<informaltable>
  <row>
    <entry>
      <para>ABC</para>
    </entry>
    <entry>
      <para>DEF</para>
    </entry>
  </row>
  <row>
    <entry>
      <para/>
    </entry>
    <entry>
      <para>DEF 2</para>
    </entry>
  </row>
</informaltable>

My goal is to produce:

    <entry one="ABC" two="DEF"/>
    <entry one="ABC" two="DEF 2"/>

In C/C++ this is trivial at each step whenever row/entry is empty I
would use some local variable instead. But in XSL I am stuck with:

                <xsl:for-each select="row">
                  <xsl:variable name="one"
select="normalize-space(string-join(entry[1]/para,' '))"/>
                  <xsl:variable name="two"
select="normalize-space(string-join(entry[2]/para,' '))"/>
                  <entry one="{$one}" two="{$two}"/>
                </xsl:for-each>

Could someone please let me know what the correct solution is when using XSL ?

Thanks so much;

--
Mathieu