Re: [xsl] merging xml's using XSLT, merge.xslt

Subject: Re: [xsl] merging xml's using XSLT, merge.xslt
From: Owen Rees <owen.rees@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 11:32:21 +0100
--On 26 September 2007 09:48 +0200 Abel Braaksma wrote:

I see, but aren't you making something that's supposed to be simple
awkwardly hard? It is a nice challenge to do something like this, but
really, I have no knowledge of the inner workings of libxslt. I am sure I
can find out when I'd create my own C++ project and when I use the
original sources of libxslt, but unfortunately I lack the time and the
interest to do so (I like to move on and use Saxon rather, which is XSLT
2.0, if that has a missing feature, I kindly ask Michael and more often
than not he shows me how to do it with the product that's already there).

A quick check of the libxslt mailing list archive shows that the reply saying it can't be done with libxslt was from the primary libxslt developer. Of course, as with all open source software, anyone with sufficient skill and motivation could add the desired facility to their own copy.

At this point I would tend to go back and complete these:

I must use C++ because ...

I must use libxslt because ...

I must use that "merge.xslt" transform because ...

I must not use files because ...

If they all end up with externally imposed factors then there is not likely to be a solution. If any of them can be altered then alternative approaches become possible and the various things suggested elsewhere in the thread become possibilities.

--
Owen Rees; speaking personally, and not on behalf of HP.
Hewlett-Packard Limited.   Registered No: 690597 England