Re: [xsl] Split into numbered files: without side-effect? (XSLT 2)

Subject: Re: [xsl] Split into numbered files: without side-effect? (XSLT 2)
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 14:46:30 +0100
> Having not even an infinitesimal amount of the mathematical
> understanding that Dimitre has, I for myself am sure that I will never
> be able to achieve exactly the same thing.

Note dimitre makes his code is availabel so you can use FXSL's
Xpath-parser-implemented-in-xslt without understanding how it works in
detail just as you can use Michael's xpath-parser-implemented-in-java
without understanding the underlying java code. (having never looked at
saxon's xpath parser sources I can definitely say that I have used that
quite often without understanding its implementation:-)

> Is this comparable to what David proposed?
without a sample input or intended output the code posted  went beyond
the threshold of what I can  comprehend  "by eye" but I suspect it's
rather different. What I was proposing didn't involve parsing any
user-supplied xpaths at all, just simply copying them from a
user-supplied config file into a generated xslt stylesheet as part of a
selct expression so that they can be evaluated.

> And, any ideas how I could further improve the code above?
remove saxon:assign would be a good start!
saxon:assign is never necessary. (Declarative languages having the same
computational power as imperative ones)

David