[xsl] FO 1.1 floating-page tables: is PSMI still needed?

Subject: [xsl] FO 1.1 floating-page tables: is PSMI still needed?
From: "Deborah Pickett" <debbiep-list-xsl@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 12:48:22 +1000 (EST)
I should start by saying that I am familiar with Page Sequence Master
Interleave (PSMI) (http://www.cranesoftwrights.com/resources/psmi/).
Since FO 1.1 processors are rather thin on the ground, this is more of a
theoretical question.  I came away from reading the FO 1.1 spec not
knowing if it supports this.

One of the consequences of the way PSMI does its thing is that it isn't a
true float: the landscaped table page is in line with the flow on the
adjacent pages.  In practice, that means that the preceding page will not
be full.  Certainly, a block cannot straddle the table page (say, a
paragraph starting at the bottom of the preceding page and continuing at
the top of the following page).  It's this kind of floating-page table
that I want: the table sits on a page near its reference point ("see Table
1"); it may be rotated; it may extend over more than one page; the regular
flow of the body text is not affected.

XSL 1.1 has flow maps and other enhancements to page sequences, but I
don't know if it knows enough to do what I want.  Is this kind of
processing simply beyond the expressiveness that FO 1.1 is capable of?

I'm OK about using XSLT to munge the FO source a la PSMI.